Visual Impact Systems Helps “Life Remodeled,” Pro Bono, With Central Project Again
In 2018, we spent an entire week (October 1-October 6, 2018) in Detroit again—specifically in the Central High School area—to help, pro bono, the non-profit Life Remodeled with executing their planned “remodeling” of the surrounding neighborhood. We were responsible for the design and production of promotional brochures and flyers, signage, banners, t-shirt graphics, social media channel graphics, website updates, capturing the project photographically. Most of the graphics work was done before the ‘build week’, and most of the photography and filming was done during the week-long ‘campaign’. Life Remodeled is continuing with this project, which they started in 2017—and also plan to work in the neighborhood for at least two more years.
Here’s a list of the project’s major accomplishments:
– Continued to renovate and repurpose the former Durfee Elementary-Middle School building (adjacent to Central High School) into a ‘community center’ they are calling the “Durfee Innovation Society”
– 396 Vacant Houses Boarded Up
– 316 Blocks of Blight Removal
– 102 Alleyways cleared
– Planted more than 700 trees, shrubs, and perennials
– Built 2 community gardens and upgraded 4 more
– Installed 20 “Little Free Libraries” along Safe Routes
– Designated the safest routes to Durfee and Central schools with artwork
– Installed 3 new bus shelters
– Installed 5 grills and picnic tables at neighborhood parks
– Installed 2 sets of bleachers for the Central High School softball field
– Added neighborhood signage
– Significantly improved Central High School’s football facilities and equipment (renovated the press box that had been vandalized, repaired the home bleachers and handicap ramps, installed a new scoreboard, and helped get new uniforms and equipment for the team and headsets for the coaches)
– Continuing to develop meaningful and sustainable partnerships to advance community investment after project completion
This was an unbelievable effort performed by over 10,000 volunteers—in just 6 days—and has been valued at over $5M!
The following are selected photos that represent the over 6,400 photos (click here to view) we, and a team of photographers, took to capture all of the activities during the ‘build week’:
REMOVAL OF BLIGHT (316 CITY BLOCKS)
The following are examples of the graphic design work we provided:
The following links are for more information about the Central project in Detroit, Michigan:
Here’s a few videos about what was accomplished in the Central neighborhood in 2017:
If you are also interested in more information or supporting this great non-profit, contact Mark Besh at Visual Impact Systems (248-548-7000), or click the link below to be taken to Life Remodeled’s website.